On March 27, the 94th Academy Awards took place. A ceremony that quickly turned sour with the slap of Will Smith to Chris Rock after a joke deemed inappropriate targeting Jada Pinkett Smith. A slap that came minutes before Will Smith was announced as the winner of the Best Actor Oscar. A reward that does not come alone since it is accompanied by a bag of goodies.
content at 137,000 dollars all the same
Each year, the nominees can boast of having won a statuette coveted by many members of the film industry. And for this 94th Academy Awards, the award-winning personalities left with a bag containing various gifts. His value ? $137,000 to be exact. A bag made by the Los Angeles-based company Distinctive Assets which specializes in “celebrity placements, product introductions and branding in the entertainment industry and beyond“. Asked by CNBC, its founder, Lash Fary, further detailed the interest of these gifts.
This year, in total, 28 personalities left with this bag, namely the 5 nominated for the categories of the Oscar for best actress, the Oscar for best actor, the Oscar for best actress for a supporting role and the Oscar for best actor for a supporting role, the 5 nominated for the Oscar for best direction as well as the three mistresses of ceremonies, namely Regina Hall, Amy Schumer and Wanda Sykes. For this ceremony, the most expensive reward of the bag cost the trifle of 50,000 dollars: a three-night stay in Turin Castle, a luxurious Scottish castle built in 1659. A gift inspired by Denzel Washington’s Best Actor Oscar nomination for macbeth.
- A “celebrity arm” liposuction worth $12,000 practiced by Dr. Thomas Su, cosmetic surgeon.
- The title of “Lord” or “Lady of Glencoe”, as well as a small piece of land in Scotland.
- $25,000 of home renovations by Maison Construction, a Los Angeles company.
- An assortment of “tastefully wrapped” popcorn packets from the Opopop company.
- Up to $10,000 of “rejuvenation treatments and procedures” by Dr. Konstantin Vasyukevich.
- A stay of $15,000 for two people for four nights at the Golden Door, a luxury resort and spa in Escondico, California.
- A small quality tea gift set offered by The Chai Box, an Oprah-endorsed brand.
- A life coaching session $1,200 with Kayote Joseph, wellness expert.
Although the personalities targeted by this bag do not have to pay it, the amount of its contents can be considered taxable income, according to the IRS (Internal Revenue Service), the agency of the United States federal government which collects income tax and miscellaneous taxes. Note that the Oscars is not the only ceremony to obtain this kind of privileges. And for good reason, Distinctive Assets also strives to make similar bags for the Grammy Awards ceremony. It is therefore possible for a personality to leave with a bag from each ceremony, or even several.