– First digit. The first digit in the VIN is the car line.
– Second digit. This is the price class.
– Third and fourth digits. This tells us the body type.
– Fifth digit. This is the engine code:
– Sixth digit.
– Seventh digit.
– The last six digits.
Moreover, What does the 8th digit in a VIN number mean?
The 8th Eighth Digit in the VIN Vehicle Identification Number Indicates Engine.
Secondly, How do you tell what a VIN number means?
The car’s vehicle identification number (VIN) is the identifying code for a SPECIFIC automobile. The VIN serves as the car’s fingerprint, as no two vehicles in operation have the same VIN. A VIN is composed of 17 characters (digits and capital letters) that act as a unique identifier for the vehicle.
Simply so, How do you read a VIN code?
– Digits 1 through 3 combined is the WMI, (World Manufacturer Identifier).
– Digits 4 through 8 represent the vehicle descriptor section.
– Digit 9 is a check digit.
– Digits 10 through 17 is the Vehicle Identifier Section.
– The 11th digit is the manufacturer’s plant code.
How do you tell the year from a VIN number?
The 10th character in the 17-character VIN represents the vehicle model-year. This standard applies to vehicles built in or after 1981. Before 1981, the VIN format was not standardized and varied by manufacturer.
23 Related Question Answers Found
A VIN is composed of 17 characters (digits and capital letters) that act as a unique identifier for the vehicle. A VIN displays the car’s unique features, specifications and manufacturer. The VIN can be used to track recalls, registrations, warranty claims, thefts and insurance coverage.
– 1G1 = Manufacturer (Chevrolet United States)
– J = Platform Code (Chevrolet Cavalier)
– C = Platform Series Code.
– 1 = Body Style (Two-Door Coupe)
– 2 = Restraint Type.
– 4 = Engine Type (LN2; 2.2L; Gas L4 SFI)
– 0 = Security Code.
– 1 = Model Year (2001)
You can find the VIN in the lower corner of your windshield on the driver’s side. In the series of numbers and letters, the tenth from the left denotes the model year and the eighth is the engine code. Just tell the store clerk those two characters and you’re in business.
No answer yet
If your 9th VIN character is G, then it represents the Month – July. If your 10th VIN character is A, then it represents the Year – 2010.
– This standard applies to vehicles built in or after 1981.
– Note: VINs do not include the letters I (i), O (o), Q (q), U (u) or Z (z), or the number 0, so that they will not be confused with similar looking numbers/letters.
– Locate the VIN.
– The first character indicates the country where the truck was manufactured.
– The second character indicates the manufacturer of the vehicle.
– The third and fourth characters indicate the type of vehicle and weight rating.
On the driver’s side door, there is usually a sticker placed by the manufacturer in between the door and the doorjamb, which contains a lot important information about your vehicle. Usually on this sticker, it will list the date of manufacture, or production date.
Take a look at the left part of the steering tube to find the printed card with the code and some additional information. For the Yamaha motor decoder, you will need only the VIN code and nothing more. However, the actual year of manufacture is indicated there.
– Locate the VIN plate.
– Learn the country in which your Dodge was constructed by reading the first digit of the VIN.
– Read the second digit of the VIN to determine the make of the Dodge.
– Discover the vehicle type by reading the third digit of the VIN.
– Determine the gross vehicle weight by reading the fourth digit.
– 1 – Country (USA)
– B – Manufacturer (Dodge)
– 3 – Vehicle Type (Passenger Car)
– HB28B – Description (Touring/4DR/Sedan/Chrysler 200)
– 9 – Check Digit.
– 8 – Model Year (2008)
– D – Assembly Plant (Belvidere, Illinois)
– 723818 – Production Sequence Number.
The VIN can reveal a number of things about a car, including its airbag type, country of origin, engine size, model year and trim level. The last 6 characters of the VIN is the most important part that contains the vehicle’s unique ID.
Last Updated: 12 days ago – Co-authors : 6 – Users : 8